Saturday, January 7, 2012

Gratitude & Gifts

I just finished reading One Thousand Gifts by Ann Voskamp. I highly recommend it. The author shares honestly, openly, and deeply about some choices that changed her life, and may indeed change my life. For one, she was challenged by a friend to list one thousand gifts by noticing good in each day, writing those things down -- naming them, and looking for good in her day to total one thousand "gifts." She began to see life much differently. For each good she named in her list, she expressed thanks, felt gratitude to God.


There is so much more to this book, that I have not done it justice here at all. See the blog: http://onethousandgifts.com

I've started my list of one thousand gifts by jotting down a few for the day I actually noticed something. Simple things like a hot shower, a good cup of coffee, my dog -- a cute companion, etc. They must be present day things, not things you remember that brought you some joy in the past. It seems most empowering to use current moments. I enjoy looking for good gifts in my day, and it has begun to change my attitude toward life. And expand my view of God. Thankfulness is powerful.

I took out my label maker and typed out "Thanks," adhering the label to my watch. When I look to see what time it is, I am reminded it is time to look for something for which I am thankful, the gifts in my day along the way.



No comments:

Post a Comment