Saturday, July 2, 2011

If It Is July, I'm Watching the Tour de France

The Tour de France started today.
With almost daily stage races for a world of professional cyclists, it is part of my daily July routine to at least watch the highlights. I love the competition, the countryside and various cityscapes.





I love the strategy, the weather, turns and climbs and sprints, fans, and fields of flowers.
I love it when cows come to watch...or ignore. Dogs often appear, too, and hopefully no one is hurt if they run across the road at the wrong time.
...and creative sculptures and tributes along the way.

Those fans -- crazy, crazy fans. What can I say! They add that circus feel. And every year, if you are watching carefully, you may regret it because you will see the Tour de France daytime "moon" of the naked fan running alongside the riders. The camera crew is always catching that from behind, no pun intended. Don't worry. I did not include a photo here.
I also enjoy the broadcasters, Phil, Paul, and Bob.
It is not all a joyful time for me though. Certain things make me very anxious: how fast they ride downhill, tight corners, the cobblestones, and, of course, the crashes.


I have no favorite team this year. I do have favorite cyclists. This year, I want Andy Schleck to win. He's talented and I want Cantador to take a seat on the sidelines. Besides, to me, Andy resembles my youngest nephew, an avid cyclist.

I also am a fan of Dave Zabriskie, Mark Cavendish, George Hincapie, Tyler Farrar, Andy Schleck, Chris Horner, Levi Leipheimer, Thor Hushovd, Christian Vande Velde, Tom Boonan, and I am sure I forgot some. You can include any American. I usually like it when they do well. And with this many favorites, it is always fun to watch the Tour de France.

No comments:

Post a Comment